Raspberry Pi is a credit card sized, powerful low-cost, high capability computing board. It is a small, single-board computer that was originally developed for computer science education and has since been popularized by digital hobbyists and makers of the Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
Raspberry Pi is a computing system that uses a development board, laptop, keyboard, mouse, computer monitor or TV, USB cable, SD card and network cable for its operations. It contains a SOC (System On Chip – Has multicore processor,GPU,ROM,I/O Peripherals inside it.), DDR RAM memory, Ethernet port, USB host, micro HDMI on it.
WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH RASPBERRY PI?
- Programming can be done in languages like C/C++, Python
- It is capable of doing everything, that is expected from a computer i.e. from browsing the Internet, playing HD video, making documents, and playing games.
- It has the ability to interact with the outside world and used in many projects relating to weather etc.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT RASPBERRY PI MODELS?
These are the models of the Raspberry Pi which are currently available: the Pi 3 Model B, the Pi 2 Model B, the Pi Zero, the Pi Zero W and the Pi 1 Model B+ and A+.
|Raspberry Pi Model A+||BCM2835||700MHz||512MB||1||No||No|
|Raspberry Pi Model B+||BCM2835||700MHz||512MB||4||Yes||No|
|Raspberry Pi 2 Model B||BCM2836/7||900MHz||1GB||4||Yes||No|
|Raspberry Pi 3 Model B||BCM2837||1200MHz||1GB||4||Yes||Yes|
|Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+||BCM2837||1400MHz||1GB||4||Yes||Yes|
|Raspberry Pi Zero||BCM2835||1000MHz||512MB||1||No||No|
|Raspberry Pi Zero W||BCM2835||1000MHz||512MB||1||No||Yes|
|Raspberry Pi Zero WH||BCM2835||1000MHz||512MB||1||No||Yes|
The thing about the Raspberry Pi is that you can do virtually anything with it that you can do with a complete full sized computer. But it’s cheap enough to dedicate it to a specific task and it can do some things that a typical computer can’t do.
You could store your movie and music collection (or links to them) on a computer and use it to. You could have a computer monitor your doors and windows, monitor and control your lights and your heating and cooling, and have it do all sorts of timed and interactive
REASONS TO USE RASPBERRY PI
1. Power consumption – The Pi consumes around five to seven watts of electricity. This is just one-tenth of what bigger sized box would use.
2. Single Board and small in Size – You can hold the Pi in your hand. This means that Pi can be integrated inside of devices as well.
3. Storage – The Pi utilizes an SD card for storage and that makes it fast. A Class 10 SD card is generally the best in performance.
4. Noise-free – The Pi is silent.
5. Status lights – There are many status lights on Pi’s motherboard. You can clearly see NIC activity, disk I/O, power status, etc.
6. Expansion capabilities – There are a number of devices available for the Pi at affordable prices. Right from an I/O board (GPIO) to a camera. It has USB ports so that more devices can be added.
7. Built-in HDMI capable graphics – The display port on the Pi is HDMI handling resolutions of up to 1920×1200. It has a few converters which can convert to VGA for backward compatibility.
8. Affordability – PI available in multiple variants in different costs. Overall the higher variant is 50$, but it is still cheaper.
9. Huge community support – The Pi offers phenomenal community support. Support can be gained quite readily for the hardware and/or GNU/Linux software running on the Pi primarily in user forums, based on the GNU/Linux distribution used.